3/3/19 - Fundamental Knife Skills
Honing Steel - Keep your knife edge “true” between sharpenings.
Avocado Tool - Because why not.
Whetstone - This one is the same grit I use (400/1000). This one also comes with an angle guide to help you achieve the correct angle for your blade!
- Videos - I found a couple videos that mirror a couple of the more complicated things we reviewed in class. Hope these help as a future resource!
Blood Orange Recipe
- Recommended Knives:
- I want to note that it’s a good idea to go into a store to try out some knives. You can go to a place like Williams Sonoma to get a feel for a good length, weight, style for yourself. It’s largely about personal preference when it comes to choosing a knife!
- Wusthof - This is the knife I currently use the most in my rotation. I like the bulk of it, but it can weigh heavy on the wrist after a while.
- Shun - This is my newest knife with the dimples I showed you. Great for veggies! I also have the Premier 8” Chef’s Knife because I wanted a lightweight, all-purpose knife to switch things up from my Wusthof.
- Other great brands: Mac, Global, Korin
- Something unique - Almazan makes super cool tools… I really want one to add to our camping kitchen!
- JB Prince - For professional kitchen gear. Their only store is in NYC, but you can order online. I like to browse their gear for fun and then buy the more practical versions on Amazon.
Review The Class
How Can We Improve?