"Learn To Cook" Series
Our "Learn To Cook" series is a hands-on educational culinary program for adults. It includes (5) chef lessons rarely offered outside of formal culinary school (which typically costs ~$25k and requires full-time commitment over 6 months). This series is appropriate for all levels of home chefs, you will learn practical advanced cooking skills and techniques from a trained culinary chef. You'll be an expert home chef for only $750 and a 15 hour time commitment.
- Open enrollment for July-August 2019.
- 5 chef lessons, weekly sessions every Sunday @ 12pm - 3pm.
- Intimate group with a max of 6 Adults.
Chef Lessons Included
1) Knife Skills | Fundamental French and Japanese knife skills, including an overview of different types of culinary knives, their construction and how to hone and sharpen. Each student will have an opportunity to practice these knives skills and the full spectrum of cuts while cooking and creating a full meal. Everyone will participate in creating each item on the menu which is gluten free and vegetarian.
- Appetizer: Tortilla Chips & Pico de Gallo
- Meal: Quinoa Gado Gado Bowl with Fresh Veggies | Pickled Cucumber and Radish Salad | Roast Potatoes & Peppers
- Dessert: Supreme Oranges in Grand Marnier and Dark Chocolate
2) Cooking w/ Liquids | Skills and techniques of cooking with liquids, including how to blanch, shock, parboil, parcook, poach, steam, pan fry, and sous vide. Learn all the ways to cook perfect grains (pasta method, measured water, rinse and roast grains), create savory stocks, and the difference between simmer & boil. Poach pears and other fruit. Steam potatoes and puree. Blanch & shock a vegetable. This chef lesson will include skills overviews, lesson plan, snacks, and tastings.
- Tastings: Haricots Verts à la Provençale | Sous Vide Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce | Quinoa Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing | Poached Pears
3) Stovetop Cooking | Techniques of cooking on stovetop, including searing, sautéing, caramelizing, and sweating. Home chefs will learn to deglaze the pan to make pan sauces, use dry heat transfer, master reductions, and sear on meat or fish.
- Tastings: Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Salad | Seared Steak with Red Wine Pan Sauce | Sautéed Pineapple with Vanilla Rum Sauce
4) Slow Cooking | Techniques of slow cooking, including how to braise, stew, and pressure cook with magical kitchen equipment like an instant pot and pressure cooker. A slow cooked meal always stands out, reaping the benefits of a long cooking time allowing flavors to deepen and meld together. In this lesson you'll also learn how a properly seasoned cast iron and dutch oven can be your best friend in the kitchen. Pus learn the components of simple salad dressings & the fundamentals of building pastry dough.
- Tastings: Braised Chicken or Beef | Celery Root/Parsnip/Potato/Turnip Puree | Seasonal Salad w/ Dressing | Tarte Tatin
5) Oven Cooking | Techniques of oven cooking, including how to dredge, breading, and pan/deep frying. Learn why cooking with oil is considered a dry heat technique.
- Tastings: Fritters or Latkes | Whole Roasted Cauliflower w/ Vinaigrette | No Knead Bread | Flan/Creme Caramel/Creme Brulee/Pot de Creme w/ Broiled Fruit